Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Diagonal

It’s a sunny day like this


From the rooftops I think the chain fence

Is come to.


I think of the kids dancing to some rowdy

Music passing in a car.


There is disaster strapped to a cloud

Shaped this time like Thomas Edison


The inventor of the wax sound tube,

Of the wind gauge and needles


Against skin to test the heart

For strength.


But from here I can’t really help

The hole in the world. That Chevy truck


Still lean to in the ditch for some week now,

I can’t resurrect the winter to freeze,


Nor poke out a loop of birds to pass on.

No, the grass is all grown


So far as I think of growing

I might consider when I’ll fall asleep


And slip off this roof, or when the arms

Come through the crack in the door


And nudge the lock off her perch, so

Long as I can still point easy at my own head


Like I was scratching or pulling the trigger,

Why not go hopelessly on a relaxed memory


And the clouds come apart into paper wads,

Toss themselves in the wastepaper basket.





No comments: